Friday, January 8, 2010

Seattle doesn't know how to drive

Since I arrived in Seattle 2 things are very obvious- people don't speed much, and all lanes are for all speeds. There is no 'fast lane' to the left. there are no signs that say 'keep right unless to pass' and indications that the road is ORGANIZED.

I am a virgo, i like order, structure, predictability. You are supposed to be able to cruise over to the left and fly down the road, and if you are a leisurely driver, stay the F to the right! People are PASSING YOU on the right, so get over one more. Maybe it's the crazy concept of HOV lanes, which I can't drive in because I never have a passenger. They move quickly....is it something to do w/being alone in your car? I don't get it and it makes me NUTS, especially when i want to get somewhere.

And the concept of pedestrians is fascinating- everyone stops. I have Philly blood, you step off the curb then I feel the need to accelerate. Crosswalk or not, it's my road. But here in the crunchy, earth-conscious northwest, we stop at all times. We stop if someone might be crossing a mile ahead! On the contrary, neighborhoods are full of intersections with NO stop signs. None. Who stops? When i see you fly through the intersection, i say a prayer of thanks that i wasn't in the intersection...how does this work????

Seattle, please just adapt some basic driving rules.
You can go the speed limit and beyond.
In a car you are big and heavy, the person should be looking out for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment